Marine and estuarine ecology:
- Secondary production (population and community);
- Structure and functioning of benthic invertebrate and fish communities under natural, anthropogenic and climatic changes;
- Tools to access resilience in aquatic ecosystems.
- Relationship between biodiversity changes with ecosystem functioning;
- Climate change impact (extreme events and trends) for the aquatic ecosystem functioning;
- Functional diversity measures to explore species coexistence patterns.
Referee of papers for:
- Environmental Monitoring and Assessment;
- Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science;
- Journal of Sea Research;
- Marine Biology Research;
- Marine and Coastal Fisheries;
- Marine Ecology. An Evolutionary perspective;
- Marine Ecology Progress Series;
- Marine Pollution Bulletin;
- Scientia Marina.
With Portuguese national financial support
BIOCHANGED - Impact of biodiversity evenness changes in the ecosystem functioning of estuaries;
Funding: FCT (PTDC/MAR/111901/2009) - program COMPETE e OE.
Participant institutions: University of Coimbra (CFE; IMAR-CMA), University of Aveiro (CESAM), and CIIMAR
Nature of investigation: The project aims to study the effect of biodiversity evenness changes due to nowadays-global ecological changes (e.g. eutrophication impact, invasive species occurrence) in the estuarine ecosystem functioning, and following multiple extreme weather events. As extreme weather events, we will test changes in salinity and "thermic shock", which in the field conditions resulted after changes in the rainfall patterns (floods and drought) and the occurrence of heat waves. We will follow two approaches: 1) manipulative mesocosm experiments with invertebrate species and 2) development of models, with information generated from the experiments and from field data. Both approaches have as added value the long-term database (since the 90s) on the macrobenthos structure and functioning of the Mondego estuary, which will continue to be monitored during the project.
Study of the intertidal macrobenthic communities and nutrient dynamics of the Mondego estuary, for the program "Monitoring Zostera noltii meadows from the Mondego estuary"; projects under the coordination of Miguel Â. Pardal, CFE (Centre for Functional Ecology) and IMAR-CMA (Institute of Marine Research - Centro do Mar e Ambiente).
Services rendered for "Projecto aquícola de engorda de pregado em Mira. I Monitorização da qualidade da água; II Monitorização de invertebrados bentónicos"; coordinatior: Miguel A. Pardal; funding: Aquínova Tasks: Field Sampling, benthic macroinvertebrates taxonomic identification consultancy and data analysis.
Collaboration for the project "DYNAMOD - Dynamic model of stress induced changes on biological communities"; coordinator: João Carlos Marques (IMAR-CMA); funding: FCT (POCTI/MGS/37431/2001);
Services rendered for Projects under the coordination of IMAR-CIC (Institute of Marine Research - Centro Interdisciplinar de Coimbra), Miguel A. Pardal. Tasks: Benthic macroinvertebrates taxonomic identification.
Project grant (36 months period) for the project "Cross-Shore Processes on Contrasting Environments - CROP"; funding: Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (PDCTM/MAR/15265/99); Coordinator Coimbra: Miguel Ângelo Pardal; Project coordinator: João Alveirinho Dias (UCTRA, Univ. Algarve).
Collaboration for the Project "Caracterização do Estuário do Rio Mondego e estabelecimento de cenários de gestão em termos de qualidade da água e da integridade do ecossistema"; Coordinator: João Carlos Marques (IMAR-CMA, Univ. Coimbra); Funding: INAG - Instituto da Água;
Collaboration for the Project "Human Impact on Estuarine Matter and Energy Dynamics - Bases for the Integrated Management of Estuarine Ecosystems"; Funding: Programa PRAXIS XXI (PRAXIS / C/ MGS / 11238/ 1998); Coordinator: João Carlos Marques (IMAR-CMA, Univ. Coimbra).
2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 Title: Estuarine organisms: from Algae to Birds Funding: Ciência Viva Coordinator: Ricardo Jorge Lopes 2001 Title: Amphibian populations from Quinta da Fonte Formosa, a natural area in a urban place, environmental education project from ONDA VERDE; Funding: IPAMB (former Instituto de Promoção Ambiental); Coordinator: ONDA VERDE, non-governmental organization for environmental education and adventure.
- The use of biological traits in Ecology (10-day course), U. Coimbra, IMAR -CMA;
- Workshop on Experimental Design and analysis of Multivariate data using PRIMER and PERMANOVA+ (8-day course), CESAM - U. Aveiro.
- Mixed Effects Models in Ecology: statistical tools for data analysis in Ecology using Mixed Effects Modelling (35 hrs), Highland Statistics Ltd., U. Coimbra, IMAR -CMA.
- The use of Generalized Linear Models (GLM) and Generalized Additive Models (GAM) in Ecology (35 hrs), Highland Statistics Ltd., U. Coimbra, IMAR -CMA;
- Multivariate Statistical tools in Ecology and Ecotoxicology (35 hrs), U. Coimbra, IMAR -CMA;
- Recovery and restoration of impacted marine and estuarine ecosystems (30 hrs) Universidad del Pais Vasco, Spain;
- Evaluation of environmental quality of freshwaters using biological methods (46 hrs), U. Coimbra, IMAR -CMA.
- Has marine biodiversity a price? Universidad del Pais Vasco, Spain (30 hrs);
- New technologies for the otoliths study and its applications for marine biology and fisheries (8hrs), CIIMAR, U. Porto;
- Fisheries and climate - Impact of climate change on fisheries. (6 hrs), IO, U. Lisbon;
- Marine ecosystem management: a call for a sustainable Europe (30 hrs), U. del Pais Vasco, Spain;
- Workshop COPRANET: Integrated Coastal Management. Do we really have a choice? (8 hrs), CCDR-Centro.
- Systems analysis and modelling in pharmacy and environmental chemistry (7.5 ECTS), Danish U. Pharmaceutical Sciences, Denmark;
- Using GIS (Geographical Information Systems) to Evaluate Environmental Problems (70hrs), U. Coimbra, IMAR -CMA;
- CorelDRAW 9. (20 hrs), FTGI - Coimbra;
- Ecotourism. FTG, co-funded by European Social Fund and Government of the Portuguese Republic (MTS).
During the MSc (U. Coimbra, IMAR -CMA):
- Principles of Pollution Abatement (70 hrs);
- Plant-Animal Interactions (71 hrs);
- Litter Breakdown in Freshwaters. II Invertebrates (70 hrs);
- (70 hrs);
- Ecological Modelling (70 hrs);
- Scientific Illustration (basic black & white) (40 hrs), U. Aveiro.
Title: Projecto aquícola de engorda de pregado em Mira. I Monitorização da qualidade da água; II Monitorização de invertebrados bentónicos (Development of aquaculture of Turbot in Mira. I Monitoring water quality ; II Monitoring benthic invertebrates);
Funding: Acuinova, Actividades Piscícolas, SA; Coordinator: Miguel Ângelo Pardal
Theoretical lessons on the theme "Secondary production in aquatic ecosystems", for the advanced courses 1) Feedback mechanisms and nutrient dynamics. The use of mass balances in aquatic systems; and 2) Nutrient dynamics in wetlands; MSc in Ecology, University of Coimbra, Portugal:
- 2004/05 (2nd semester, 2h)
- 2005/06 (2nd semester, 2h)
- 2006/07 (2nd semester, 2h)
- 2007/08 (2nd semester, 2h)
- 2008/09 (2nd semester, 2h)
- 2009/10 (2nd semester, 2h)
Theoretical lessons on the theme "Environmental quality of aquatic ecosystems using biological methods", European MSc in Ecology, University of Coimbra (Portugal):
- 2010/11 (1st semester, 2h)
Theoretical lessons on the theme "Environmental quality of aquatic ecosystems using biological methods", for Program of post-graduation in Ecology and biological assessment, from Universidade Federal da Bahia (Brazil):
- 2009/2010 (2nd semester, 2h)
Practical lessons on the theme "Fish community structure of the Mondego estuary and the use of the estuary as nursery area"; MSc in Animal Biology, University of Coimbra, Portugal
- 2004/05 (2nd semester, 3h)
Practical lessons of the discipline "Hydrobiology", Graduation in Biology, Department of Life Sciences, University of Coimbra (Portugal):
- 2002/03 (2nd semester, 6h)
- 2003/04 (2nd semester, 6h)
- 2004/05 (2nd semester, 6h)
- 2005/06 (2nd semester, 3h)
Monitor on the workshop "Taxonomic Identification of marine benthic macroinvertebrates", for the Biology Students National Meeting -ENEB 2004, at Coimbra, with the support of IMAR-CIC.
2000: Honourable mention at "Concurso de Ideias para Módulos de Divulgação da Ciência" (Ideas for Science divulgation), by GADI - Gabinete de Divulgação de Artes e Ciências da Fundação Jacinto Magalhães (Office to the Arts and Science divulgation from the Foundation Jacinto Magalhães), University of Aveiro.
PAPERS IN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC PERIODICALS WITH REFEREE (ISI)
Dolbeth M, Ferreira Ó, Teixeira H, Marques JC, Dias JA, Pardal MA (2007) Beach morphodynamics spatial and temporal variations impact on a macrobenthic community along a subtidal depth gradient. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 352: 113-124;
Dolbeth M, Martinho F, Leitão R, Cabral H, Pardal M (2007) Strategies of Pomatoschistus minutus and Pomatoschistus microps to cope with environmental instability. Estuar Coast Shelf Sci 74:263-273,doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2007.04.016;
Martinho F, Leitão R, Viegas I, Neto J, Dolbeth M, Cabral HN, Pardal MA (2007) The influence of an extreme drought event in the fish community of a southern Europe temperate estuary. Estuar Coast Shelf Sci 75: 537-546,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2007.05.040;
Dolbeth M, Cardoso PG, Ferreira SM, Verdelhos T, Raffaelli D, Pardal MA (2007) Anthropogenic and natural disturbance effects on a macrobenthic estuarine community over a 10-year period. Mar Poll Bull 54: 576-585
Dolbeth M, Lillebø AI, Cardoso P, Ferreira S, Pardal MA (2005) Annual production of estuarine fauna in different environmental conditions: an evaluation of the estimation methods. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 326:115-127,doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2005.05.010;
Dolbeth M, Pardal MA, Lillebø AI, Azeiteiro UM, Marques JC (2003) Short- and long-term effects of eutrophication on the secondary production of an intertidal macrobenthic community. Mar Biol 143:1229-1238; DOI:10.1007/s00227-003-1133-5.
Consultancy team for the technical reports on management plans the north and central Portugal watersheds (2011-2012):
- "Plano de gestão de bacia hidrográfica do rios Minho e Lima (RH1)";
- "Plano de gestão de bacia hidrográfica do rios Cávado, Ave e Leça (RH2)";
- "Plano de gestão de bacia hidrográfica do rio Douro (RH3)";
- "Plano de gestão das bacias hidrográficas dos rios Vouga, Mondego e Lis (RH4)";
Feio MJ, Dolbeth M, Martinho F (2009) Avaliação de Impactes com base em macroinvertebrados bentónicos. Barragens do Alto Tâmega;
Data analyses for reports of "Development of aquaculture of Turbot in Mira. Monitoring benthic invertebrates", to Aquínova (9 reports)
Cabral-Oliveira J., Dolbeth M., Pardal M.A. (2014) Is sewage pollution affecting the secondary production of rocky shore macroinvertebrates?.
Marine And Freshwater Research. 65, 8, 750-758
Nyitrai D., Martinho F., Dolbeth M., Rito J., Pardal M.A. (2013) Effects of local and large-scale climate patterns on estuarine resident fishes: the case of Pomatoschistus microps and Pomatoschistus minutus.
Estuarine, Coastal And Shelf Science. in press,
Dolbeth, M; Cusson, M; Sousa, R; Pardal, MA (2012) Secondary production as a tool for better understanding of aquatic ecosystems.
Canadian Journal Of Fisheries And Aquatic Sciences. 69, 7, 1230-1253.
- Dolbeth M, Cardoso PG, Grilo T, Bordalo M, Raffaelli D, Pardal MA (2011) Long-term changes in production of estuarine benthos affected by multiple stressors. Estuar Coast Shelf Sci. 92, 10-18 (see details)
- Verdelhos T, Cardoso PG, Dolbeth M, Pardal MA (2011) Latitudinal gradients on Scrobicularia plana reproduction patterns, population dynamics, growth and secondary production. Mar Ecol Prog Ser. 442, 271-283 (see details)
Grilo, TF; Cardoso, PG; Dolbeth, M; Bordalo, MD; Pardal, MA (2011) Effects of extreme climate events on the macrobenthic communities' structure and functioning of a temperate estuary.
Marine Pollution Bulletin. 62, 2, 303-311.
Martinho, F.; Dolbeth, M.; Viegas, I.; Baptista, J.; Cabral, H. N.; Pardal, M. A. (2010) Does the flatfish community of the Mondego estuary (Portugal) reflect environmental changes?.
Journal Of Applied Ichthyology. 26, 6, 843-852.
- Crespo, D; Verdelhos, T; Dolbeth, M; Pardal, MA (2010) EFFECTS OF THE OVER HARVESTING ON AN EDIBLE COCKLE (Cerastoderma edule Linaeus, 1758) POPULATION ON A SOUTHERN EUROPEAN ESTUARY. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin. 19, 12, 2801-2811. (see details)
- Baptista, J; Martinho, F; Dolbeth, M; Viegas, I; Cabral, H; Pardal, M (2010) Effects of freshwater flow on the fish assemblage of the Mondego estuary (Portugal): comparison between drought and non-drought years. Marine And Freshwater Research. 61, 4, 490-501. (see details)
Grilo, TF; Cardoso, PG; Dolbeth, M; Pardal, MA (2009) Long-term changes in amphipod population dynamics in a temperate estuary following ecosystem restoration.
Hydrobiologia. 630, 1, 91-104.
Dolbeth, M; Martinho, F; Leitao, R; Cabral, H; Pardal, MA (2008) Feeding patterns of the dominant benthic and demersal fish community in a temperate estuary.
Journal Of Fish Biology. 72, 10, 2500-2517.
Martinho F., Leitão R., Viegas I., Neto J.M., Dolbeth, M, Cabral H.N., Pardal M.A. (2008) The influence of an extreme drought event in the fish community of a southern Europe temperate estuary.
Estuarine, Coastal And Shelf Science . 75, 537-546
Martinho F., Viegas I., Dolbeth M., Leitão R., Cabral H.N., Pardal M.A. (2008) Assessing estuarine environmental quality using fish-based indices: performance evaluation under climatic instability.
Marine Pollution Bulletin . 56, 1834-1843
Dolbeth M., Viegas I., Martinho F., Marques J.C., Pardal M.A. (2006) Population structure and species dynamics Spisula solida, Diogenes pugilator and Branchiostoma lanceolatum along a temporal-spatial gradient in the south coast of Portugal.
Estuarine, Coastal And Shelf Science . 66, 168-176
- Lillebø A.I., Flindt M.R., Cardoso P.G., Leston S., Dolbeth M., Pereira E., Duarte A.C., Pardal M.A. (2011) Restoration of Seagrass Community to Reverse Eutrophication in Estuaries. In: . In: Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science. Waltham: Academic Press. 10, (see details)
- Silva-Santos P, Lopes RJ, Múrias T, Medeiros J, Cardoso P, Dolbeth M, Pardal MA, Cabral JA (2011) The Use of Stochastic Models as a Management Tool in a Shallow Temperate Estuary of South Europe (Mondego, Portugal). In: Seagrass: Ecology, Uses and Threats. (see details)
- Dolbeth M (2007) Macrozoobenthic and Fish Production of the Mondego Estuary. Anthropogenic and Climate Variability Impact. Coimbra. Ciências da Vida - Universidade de Coimbra. (see details)
Eduardo G. Bento, Tiago Grilo, Marina Dolbeth, Dániel Nyitrai, Miguel Â. Pardal and Filipe Martinho (2015) A decadal trend of juvenile European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax, L.) responses to climate patterns in the Mondego estuary, Portugal.
- Crespo D., Leston S., Solan M., Pardal M.A., Dolbeth M. (2014) Global change effects on a non-native invasive species, Corbicula fluminea, (Müller, 1774): response of processes and functions. (see details)
- Coelho J.P., Lillebø A.I., Crespo D., Leston S., Dolbeth M. (2013) The effect of the alien invasive bivalve, Corbicula fluminea, in nutrient dynamics under climate change scenario – a mesocosm experiment. (see details)
- Crespo D., Dolbeth M., Leston S., Sousa R., Pardal M.A. (2013) Main vectors of introduction and distribution of Corbicula fluminea: a geographic approach for a transcontinental comprehension. (see details)
- Tavares S., Coelho J.P., Dolbeth M., Azeiteiro U.M., Pereira M.E., Duarte A.C., Pardal M.A. (2011) Lifespan mercury bioaccumulation in Pomatoschistus microps: a field study in two temperate coastal ecosystems (Ria de Aveiro and Mondego estuary, Portugal). (see details)
- Baptista J., Martinho F., Dolbeth M. , Viegas I., Cabral H., Pardal M. (2010) Effects of freshwater flow on the fish assemblage of the Mondego estuary (Portugal) - Comparison between drought and non-drought years. (see details)
- Nyitrai D., Martinho F., Dolbeth M., Viegas I., Baptista J., Pardal M.A. (2010) Changes in structure and composition of estuarine fish assemblages induced by extreme weather events: a Southern-Europe estuary case study. (see details)
- Martinho F., Dolbeth M., Viegas I., Baptista J., Cabral H.N., Pardal M.A. (2010) Flatfish assemblages as indicators of environmental change: do local patterns reflect global trends?. (see details)
- Baptista J., Martinho F., Dolbeth M., Viegas I., Leitão R., Cabral H.N., Pardal M.A. (2008) Estuarine fish communities´ responses to climate instability: Influence of an extreme drought event. (see details)
- Feio M.J., Dolbeth M., Martinho F. (2009) Indicador biológico: Macroinvertebrados. Caracterização das comunidades de macroinvertebrados bentónicos nas linhas de água onde serão construídos os aproveitamentos hidroeléctricos de Gouvães, Alto Tâmega, Padroselos e Daivões. (see details)