Aquatic Ecotoxicology Lab
|At the Laboratory of Aquatic Ecotoxicology we carry out fundamental and applied Research & Development activities in the field of aquatic ecotoxicology, with focus on the evaluation and management of water quality in streams, ponds and estuaries. We are also involved in activities of knowledge transfer and scientific dissemination to industry and the general public.
Áreas de estudo/atuação
- developing laboratory and in situ ecologically relevant short-term sublethal toxicity tests, with organisms representing key functions in freshwater and estuarine ecosystems;
- reducing uncertainties in prospective and retrospective Ecological Risk Assessments, with special interest in the tropics;
- gauging contaminants as habitat disturbers alongside as physiological toxicants: contaminant-driven emigration/recolonisation (repellence versus attractiveness) and contaminant-caused habitat-fragmentation;
- evaluating microevolution due to pollution in aquatic populations and studying inheritance of tolerance to contaminants;
- transfer knowledge and technologies and promote scientific dissemination.
Laboratory of Aquatic Ecotoxicology
University of Coimbra, Department of Life Sciences
Edifício do Patronato, Rua da Matemática, n.º 49, 2.º piso
Tel: 239 240 788